For printable PDF click here.
The Hopper-Hill Family Discussion Questions
1. Piper always wondered what it would be like to grow up in a large family. How many siblings do you have? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have a different family dynamic?
2. Although the story involves the tragic death of Seth, Cora, and Sam’s parents, it is told from Piper’s point of view. Why do you think the author chose to tell the story from Piper’s perspective? How do you think the story would be different if it was told from another character’s perspective?
3. Which character is your favorite? Why?
4. Piper’s mother, Melissa, wonders if taking Seth, Cora, and Sam to live with them in Atlanta is the best option for them. Do you think Piper’s parents made the right choice, or was there a better alternative?
5. How is Lois’s relationship with her mother different than Piper’s relationship with her mom? Are there any similarities between the two relationships?
6. What role does Schroeder play in the story? Do you think pets can also be family members?
7. Piper feels like her mother should do more to help Uncle Carlos. Do you think Piper’s mom was justified in letting Uncle Carlos leave?
8. How do Seth, Cora and Sam’s personalities differ? How do their different personalities affect the way they relate to the rest of the family?
9. Why do you think Knox is so drawn to Piper’s family?
10. How is Piper’s view of death different from Cora’s and Sam’s? Does Piper’s view change over the course of the book?
11. Did any scene make you laugh or cry?
12. At what point do you think the Hopper-Hills become a family?
13. The book ends as they have just completed their first year together. What do you predict will happen for them in the future?